Client testimonial

HELPERS! The name says it all: Handy, Efficient, Lifesaver, Professional, Effective, Reliable, Sensational! I've made up only the acronym, believe me, each adjective is well deserved.



Stay in Hungary after you graduate: “Study-to-work” residence permit

Are you studying in Hungary as an international student? Have you ever wondered if you could stay in Hungary after you graduate? Just find a work or start a business in Hungary – you have 9 month for that with the new “study-to-work” residence permit.

European student visa

There are many ways to get EU residency that grants you free travel in the Schengen zone. A European student visa is just one of the options, but if you are eager to learn, that’s a great opportunity to set your foot in the door of Europe.

Useful Tips

Studying abroad can be an amazing experience – whether you attend a European university, or move to Hungary with your family and go to an international school in Budapest. During your stay, you will be able to travel all over Europe without visa restrictions.

Family and student visas in Hungary

As an experienced provider of residency and immigration solutions, HELPERS offers assistance for students wishing to study in Hungary or remain in the country after completing their courses (as business owners or employees), as well as for family members of primary resident permit holders. With HELPERS, clients of all ages will receive the same first-class service and assistance.

Spouse visa / Family visa

Spouses and minor children of Hungarian residents or citizens are generally available for a type of dependant visa known as family unification. Depending on the main applicant’s procedure, the application for the family visa may be submitted together with the main residency application or after the first residency has been granted. Holders of dependant visas will have the same rights as the main applicant.

Student visa

Whether participating in a study abroad program in Hungary, or accompanying their families, students of Hungarian universities are eligible for a student visa. Most universities in Hungary do not offer practical assistance with getting a student visa or other paperwork, so if you or your children wish to study in Hungary, you may need to work with a professional to ensure that there are no delays and the student can start studying at the chosen university or college without delay.

Once a student graduates, they can apply for a “study-to-work” residence permit, which grants them the permission to stay in Hungary for another 9 months. During this time, they should find a job or set up a company on their own to make them eligible for a resident permit based on their gainful activity.


Non-EU residency application, including family unification / student visa: EUR 600 (+VAT if applicable)

Tax number: EUR 100 (+VAT if applicable)

Social security number: EUR 100 (+VAT if applicable)

Full-service packages for students, including assistance with university selection and application, travel and housing arrangements: between EUR 850 and EUR 1,500 (+VAT if applicable).

For families applying for residency together, we offer significant package discounts.

Click here to learn about our other residency options, or here to find out about our personal assistance service!


As you might suspect, a family visa, also known as a family unification visa, allows the spouse and dependent children of a Hungarian resident or citizen to join that person in Hungary. The citizen or resident must submit several pieces of information to apply for a Letter of Invitation, and then the family members must submit the Letter of Invitation along with several additional documents. Because the process is complex, it is best to hire an agency that is familiar with family visas to guide you.

As the name suggests, a student visa allows international students to remain in Hungary during the course of their studies. To apply for a student visa, you must have an acceptance letter from a Hungarian university. You must also provide numerous other pieces of documentation, such as proof of having paid your tuition fees, proof of sufficient funds to support yourself in Hungary, proof of health insurance, and more. Universities typically do not provide assistance with obtaining a student visa, so it is best to utilize the services of an independent agency.

Absolutely. In fact, it is quite easy for a foreigner holding a dependant visa to find employment, and then they can simply change the dependant visa for gainful activity resident permit. Alternatively your spouse can also decide to start a small business in Hungary – we are happy to assist with either.

Most expats love living in Hungary! Budapest is a safe and clean city with many affordable, high-quality entertainment options, good international schools, lots of green areas, easy public transportation, and fast and inexpensive connections to all major European capitals. Living cost in Hungary is quite low, so even on a basic salary you can achieve a high living standard.

Hungary has excellent universities, with lots of subjects taught in English. Tuition is generally quite low (starting from just EUR 600/semester) and living costs are also reasonable. Hungarian medical schools are especially popular with foreign students, but you can also study business, economics, engineering, dentistry, architecture, and many other disciplines as a foreign student.

Ask for a Quote

If you are interested in studying in Hungary or moving to Hungary as a family, contact us well in advance, so we can make the entire procedure easy for you!

Please fill in the form