HELPERS is the leading provider of business and immigration services in Hungary.

Options other than citizenship if you want to live in Hungary

If you want to live in Hungary, getting Hungarian citizenship is just one of your many options. You can get residency as well, based on various activities that require your presence in Hungary – and this way grant you a residence permit.

1. Residence permit with company operation

If you have a mind for business and have a good idea, you can set up a Hungarian company in just 2-3 business days. You will need a solid business plan, an accountant, and a virtual office.

Read more about business immigration here

1/a. Real Estate Residence Permit

If you have the funds but not the original idea required for successful business immigration, you can set up a company for property management if you buy real estate you can rent. This way you will have the steady business required for your residence permit.

Read more about the real estate residency program here

2. Residence permit with work permit

You can become a Hungarian resident also if you find a job in Hungary. The trick is to find a job first, then apply for the combined residency and work permit when you already have the labor contract or at least a written agreement with your would-be employer.

Read more about the Hungarian work permit here

3. Family unification

If you have your spouse already living in Hungary, either as a resident or a citizen, you can apply for Hungarian residency based on the “family unification” procedure. This is usually most relevant for the families applying together, when a main applicant gets Hungarian residency through business immigration, while their family members (spouse and underage, dependent children) can apply based on the close family ties.

Read more about family unification

4. Residency for students

If you study at a Hungarian university, you are automatically entitled for residency for the while of your studies. Just enroll at a university, prove that you are accepted and you have the necessary funds to finance your stay in Hungary, and apply for residency.

Read more about student residency here

5. Study-to-work residency

Are you already finishing your studies? You want to stay in Hungary, but not sure how? Apply for the study-to-work residency which bridges the gap between your student years and your entering the world of business or employment.

Read more about the study-to-work residence permit here

Not sure which applies to you? Contact us!

If based on the above it is not clear to you how you can get Hungarian residency, or you need help getting started, just let us know, and we will answer your questions related to living in Hungary.

Drop us a mail today!

Contact us
  • Privacy Policy
    In order to contact you and provide you a relevant service proposal we handle your data based on our Privacy Policy.
    I want to subscribe to the newsletter, which will send me monthly news related to business immigration, citizenship application, business service(s) and other service(s) I am interested in.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Repatriate to Hungary - become a Hungarian citizen
Repatriate to Hungary – Get citizenship by ancestry

Anyone whose parents, grandparents or other ancestors were Hungarian citizens can easily repatriate to Hungary thanks to the option of getting citizenship by ancestry. Are you eligible?

Read More
EU citizenship for UK citizens
Stay in the EU after Brexit: EU citizenship for UK citizens in Hungary

Since the vote on Brexit, many British citizens are looking for a second, EU citizenship in order to keep their privileges as citizens of the European Union, including the right to live, travel, and do business in the EU. While Germany is by far the most popular destination, Hungary is most popular in Central Europe.

Read More